Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Singapore

Hi there- I mentioned in my last post that I would write on my first few weeks in Cambodia but actually I realized I should also mention Singapore, which was my first stop on this journey. Singapore is a really interesting place actually... the best way I heard it described was an "immaculately clean Disneyland for families, with the death penalty" -- ACCURATE. It's absolutely gorgeous, you know? But something about it is too perfect... they have redesigned it to seriously be the Monaco of the East - the whole island-country feels like a resort and is generally about that expensive HAHA. I had a marvelous time staying there with an expat uncle of mine: spent one full afternoon riding bicycles all down the coast right by the beach; taking a night boat all around the downtown area; staying up too late every night really getting to know each other better as people beyond the context of family; going out to Clarke Quay and eating Chili Crab (THE MESSIEST DISH EVER!!!!); and generally having a fun, relaxing time. It was a really smart move on my part to give myself a few days there to just adjust to time-difference and really shake off a lot of the baggage I carried with me.... not to mention, my uncle is the coolest cat ever!! I really enjoyed myself during these few days... it did a lot of good.

Me and the "Mer-lion" - the mascot of Singapore

Singapore by night from the boat

Eating Chili-Crab!!! My uncle and I made such a mess hahaha




No comments:

Post a Comment